Saturday, September 26, 2009

Sometimes My Horse is a Butt

Even though Kid can be such a butt sometimes and I'm still relatively new to riding, I don't think I am amiss in saying we are making progress.
  • I can put all of his tack on correctly by myself.
  • I can get on Kid without anyone having to hold him.
  • He almost never refuses to lift his hooves anymore and is actually starting to lift without my having to ask.
  • He moves back in his stall when instructed to "move" about 50% of the time. The rest of the time I have to flick his chest with the lead rope and say "move" until he actually does..
  • I am able to get him to go the direction I want to go 100% of the time, HOWEVER he still tries to head back to the barn to get his dinner. On the upside, I have been able to practice turning. Overall, I want him to focus on me rather than food. Is this even possible?
  • I am able to feed him with about 50% more control than a couple of weeks ago (that's not saying much). :(
On the downside, I feel the ground work needs to improve before I can even focus on trotting AND I'm starting to second-guess myself which isn't good. I really want to go back to the round pen again and start from the beginning. Also, I must lose weight in order to get on Kid without the block. There is no way I can ride in the pasture or on the trails by myself until I do.

I knew learning to ride wouldn't be easy but I honestly didn't think I would struggle as much as I am. I wish I could practice more than twice a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment