Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Today was good!

I had my first lesson of the week and it was fantastic. We started about 45 minutes late because the new straps I bought for Kid's breast collar were too stiff to fasten. We decided to ditch the breast collar and were on our way. My focus today was to get Kid to stop trying to get back to the barn as we circled past it. Every time I felt he was going to go against my direction, I gave him a little kick to keep him moving forward.

In the barn, before and after the ride, Kid and I made good progress. When I went to put his halter on him in the stall, I told him "back" and eventually he stood in the corner like he is supposed to. I used the lead rope to pop him on the chest while I said "back" and it seemed to work. After the ride, when I put him back in the stall he went straight to the corner until I left. When I came back with his food, it was "back" again and a couple of times more to make him stay while I put the food in his bucket. He stayed until I turned my back and left. I was soooo excited.

We are making progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment