Monday, November 22, 2010

Getting on a Horse

I previously mentioned that I need to work on getting on a horse without someone holding the reins. A friend of mine got dragged by her horse this week because he does not stand when she gets on him (she's ok). Not good at all.

Kid stands 95% of the time. My goal now is 100%. I shouldn't expect less and will not settle. We always use a block when I get on because:

1. Chiropractor recommended it
2. I'm too big to get on him without it
3. Kid is too tall for my short legs

When we are done riding and get to the vicinity of the barn/block, I tell Kid to go to the "big, pink block" and he walks to it and circles around so I can get off. While we still might need to make adjustments, overall he has the concept down.

All of this being said, my friend was outside with no block at hand. I think she had knocked a barrel over so had to get off to right it. Note to self: Don't knock over barrels and/or poles. Easier said than done, I know.

All in all, I don't feel I should have to settle for bad manners from my horse. It is best for me and for him if he knows how to behave.

No comments:

Post a Comment