Sunday, February 14, 2010

HYPP Sucks

As I mentioned on Thursday, I felt that something was wrong with Kid. It turns out I was right. Last night I got a call about 15 minutes after I drove by the barn that Kid had gone down and they were having trouble getting him back up. The vet had been called and was on his way. I left Steven at Cody's house and left for the barn.

When I arrived, Kid was up and tied in the aisle. I knew immediately when I saw him that he was in the middle of a HYPP attack. His neck, shoulders, and the upper part of his body were rippling with muscles out of control. I decided to walk him around hoping he wouldn't fall over but needing to keep us both busy until the vet got there. Kid was subdued even though his muscles weren't. I would rub his ears periodically which he seemed to find comforting. When I stopped, he nudged me for more.

I bought Kid knowing he was a HYPP N/H horse. I figured if I bought him or someone else did he would still have the same chance of having attacks. I knew I would love him and take care of him, making sure he had everything he needed. He is on daily medication now that should keep attacks at bay but it will be constant vigilance every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment